The chemical and surface analysis lab offers a wide range of characterization techniques together with highly skilled expert personnel. The key feature of the lab is the availability of skilled, devoted and highly motivated technical staff members who keep the instruments well-maintained and assist students and researchers with training, sample preparation and data interpretation. Our facility services all Technion researchers, other research institutes (universities and colleges) as well as the industry.
To sign for use of the laboratory’s equipment, go to– https://goo.gl/Bp5X5N
Dr. Rachel Edrei
Schulich Faculty of Chemistry
Technion-Israel Institute of Technology
Haifa, Israel 32000
Tel: 04-8293753 ; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Horiba Jobin Yvon (LabRAM HR Evolution®) Micro-Raman are ideally suited to both micro and macro measurements, and offer advanced confocal imaging capabilities. Our LabRAM HR system equip with:
· High spatial and spectral resolutions
· UV (325 nm) and VIS (532 nm) laser sources
· Ultra-Fast confocal imaging (SWIFT)
· Visible objectives: 10x and 100x 50x
· UV objectives: 15x 40x
· Gratings: 600 gr/mm; 1800 gr/mm
· Visible Macro lens for liquids measurements
· Thermometric stage working from –196°C to 600°C
· UV filters for PL measurements
Veeco (Dimension 3100) Atomic Force Microscope (AFM) system is operated by the NanoScope IIIa Controller to provide a full range of scanning probe microscopic techniques:
- Contact and non-contact mode atomic force microscopy with sub-nanometre vertical resolution(lateral resolution is generally limited by the tip geometry, not the instrument)
- Electric force microscopy capability
- Magnetic force microscopy capability
- Tunneling-AFM (TUNA) mode
- Sample Holds up to 6″ diameter samples
- large scan size (up to 100 microns)
- Dedicated PC and analysis software
TESCAN (Vega-II) Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) produces images of almost any sample at magnifications of X1,000 – X50,000. Conductive and nonconductive samples can be imaged. Low vacuum mode – enable to investigate non-conductive and wet samples without coating.
Bruker (Tensor 27) Fourier Transform InfraRed (FTIR) measures mid IR (400-4000 cm-1) absorbance/transmittance spectra using a high-sensitivity LN-cooled MCT detector. We also perform Attenuated Total Reflectance (ATR) spectroscopy to measure the chemical signature of thin layers, powders and liquids.
Thermo Scientific CHNS Analyzer (Flash2000) is a most accurate analyzer for the determination of the mass fraction of carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and sulfur. This Instrument offers unparalleled accuracy and reliability (100ppm). It is capable of handling a wide variety of sample types, including solids, liquids, volatile and viscous samples.
Jobin Yvon (Fluorolog-3) Fluorometer is used to measure fluorescence spectra of samples (280 nm – 900 nm). Our system is equipped with a temperature controlled holder (-170 – + 90 °C).
Shimadzu (UV-1800) Spectrophotometer is a double beam spectrophotometer equipped with deuterium and halogen lamps for enhanced precision across the UV-VIS spectrum (190 – 1100nm). Spectral data is obtained at constant bandpass with a resolution of 1 nm, our system is equipped with a temperature controlled holder ( -10 – + 90 c)
CEM Cop. (Discover) microwave reactor is a microwave reactor for performing fast and highly controlled reaction. Operating temperature range is RT – 300 °C. Total vial volume capacity is 0.2 to 75 ml. Open vessel capacity reflux with MW power is available.
Polaron Sputter coater is available for coating samples with a very thin layer (few nm) of metal (gold etc.). This coating increases the ability of the specimen to conduct electricity and to emit secondary electrons (for SEM measurements).
Curing UV lamp (RW-UV.3BP) system equipped with high-pressure mercury lamp (total power of 2.2KW) and air cooling.
Digital Viscometer (SNB-1) measurement rang: 1-600,000 mPa*s equipt with temperature control (10 – 60 °C).
more information about viscometer instrument
Fisher Scientific (ECOCELL) oven serves for warming by hot air with natural circulation. The ovens are designed for temperatures up to 250 °C.
more information about oven instrument
Schmidt & Haensch (Abbe model AR12) Refractometer
• Determination of concentration and purity control of liquid media with high or low viscosity and solids.
• Small sample volume necessary.
• Can be temperature controlled by a circulating thermostat bath.
• Measuring range of the scale: 1,3000 – 1,7200RI (Refractive Index). 0-95% Bx (sugar weight % in aqueous solution)
Mettler Toledo (XP6) microbalance equipped with small weighing chamber and the isolating stainless cover.
• Maximum Capacity 6.1 g
• Readability 1 μg
Olympus Light Microscopes (BH2-VMA) equipped with 0.12x, 0.25x, 0.4x and 0.5x objectives and x-y micro-manipulator. A CCD Digital Camera (Hithachi KP-D50) allows capturing still and video film.